Last week, Chris Harper-Mercer loaded up his guns and went to Umpqua Community College in Roseburg, Oregon. Once inside the school, he started asking students what their religion was. If they answered Christian, he shot them. When the bloodbath ended, nine people were dead and others wounded.
Before the day was over, Barack Obama spoke to the nation, once again blaming guns for the violence. He repeated the same tirade of erroneous facts in calling for stricter gun control laws, trying to convince a dumbed down public that this would curb mass shootings and gun violence in the future.
Saturday I posted an article that looked at how passing strict gun control laws impacted the violent crime rates of Chicago, Baltimore and Australia. In all three cases, gun related homicides and other crimes increased after the passage of gun control laws similar to what Obama is wanting for all of America.
However, there is one constant in all of these mass shootings: Sandy Hook Elementary School, theater in Aurora, Columbine High School, Fort Hood, Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston, Washington Navy Yard, Santa Monica College, Sikh Temple in Wisconsin, Oikos University in Oakland, University of Alabama in Huntsville, American Civic Assn. in Birmingham, NY, Northern Illinois University, shopping mall in Omaha, Virginia Tech, shopping mall in Salt Lake City, Amish schoolhouse in Nickel Mines, PA, Red Lake High School in MN, Luby’s restaurant in Killeen, TX and others.
That one constant is that they are all gun free zones.
What if just one person at every one of these locations had a concealed carry weapon and was able to use it? That’s a question that Suzanna Hupp has asked authorities ever since she witnessed her parents being murdered in a mass shooting in 1991. Hupp had a conceal carry license and had her gun with her when she and her parents stopped at Luby’s restaurant to eat. At the time Texas law made it illegal for conceal carry owners to carry their guns in public places like restaurants, so she hid her gun in her car.
Sitting there enjoying a meal with her parents, Hupp watched as George Hennard entered the restaurant and started shooting. When it was over, 23 people, including Hupps mom and dad, were dead and 20 others wounded. Hupp states that had she had her gun with her in the restaurant that she could have stopped Hennard early on and saved the lives of her parents and others. Officials listened to Hupp and eventually change Texas law.
Obama likes to say that all law enforcement agrees with him about the need for stricter gun control laws and establishing more gun free zones, but that’s another lie the spews out of his mouth. I know a number of law enforcement personnel that disagree with Obama. One of them is Milwaukee County Sheriff David A. Clarke, Jr. who recently told Megyn Kelly:
“I’ll answer your question what law could be changed. We should get rid of these gun free zones. We should allow people, under circumstances, you know, concealed carry license holders, to be able to play a role in their own safety. I think it’s heartless to expect people in these gun free zones to be lined up and slaughtered with no way to defend themselves. These gun free zones have become killing fields. That is the one constant in all of these mass murders including the military recruiting section, uh, where the President of the United States doesn’t even trust soldiers stateside to go armed.”
Gun free zones create a safe atmosphere for criminals, not law abiding citizens. All of the mass shootings Obama talks about were in gun free zones where American citizens are denied the right to protect themselves. Allowing citizens to carry guns to protect themselves is the foundation behind the Second Amendment and that foundation works:
- On Oct. 1, 1997, Luke Woodham went to his high school after killing his mom and began shooting. Assistant Principal Joel Myrick grabbed his .45 caliber handgun from his truck and confronted Woodham and stopped his murder spree before police arrived.
- On April 24, 1998, Parker Middle School was holding a dance at a local banquet hall when a 14 year old student opened fire with .25 caliber handgun. James Strand, owner of the hall used his shotgun that he kept there to stop the shooting and hold the student until police arrived.
- On Jan. 16, 2002, a former student started shooting at Appalachian School of Law, killing the dean, a professor and another student before being stopped by two law students who were also in law enforcement. They retrieved their weapons from their cars and apprehended the shooter and held him until police arrived.
- On Dec 9, 2007, a man opened fire with a Bushmaster AR-15 on parishioners at New Life Church in Colorado Springs. Earlier that day, the same man killed two and wounded two at the Young With a Mission training center in Arvada. Jeanne Assam, a former Minneapolis Police Officer had a concealed carry license and her gun was with her during the service at New Life Church. She pulled her weapon and shot the shooter, wounding him. He eventually shot himself, but her actions were credited with saving many lives before police arrived.
- On May 27, 2010, Donald J. Moore used his personal firearm to stop a mass shooting at an AT&T store in New York Mills, NY. The shooter had a list of employees he was going to kill, but only managed to wound one employee before Moore shot and killed him, all before the police arrived.
- On Aug. 30, 2010, Sullivan Central High School Resource Officer Carolyn Gudger drew her gun on a 62 year old man with gun. Using her body to shield a student, she held the shooter in a standoff for 10 minutes until police arrived.
- On March 25, 2012, Jessie Gates was observed getting a shotgun from his truck and heading to the door of Boiling Springs’ South Side Freewill Baptist Church in South Carolina. Aaron Guyton, grandson of the pastor, saw him and locked the door, but Gates kicked it in. Guyton then drew his conceal carry weapon and held Gates at gunpoint while two parishioners subdued him and the pastor disarmed him, all before police arrived.
- On Dec. 11, 2012, Nick Meli used his concealed carry weapon to stop a shooter at the Clackamas Town Center Mall near Portland, Oregon. The shooter killed two and wounded one before Meli confronted him. The shooter stopped shooting, withdrew to a service elevator and then shot himself, before police arrived.
- On April 30, 2014, a construction foreman in Austin, Texas used his legally licensed conceal carry weapon to stop a former employee who showed up and started shooting. The foreman wounded the shooter and saved lives after being wounded himself, before police arrived.
- On May 16, 2014, an armed gunman entered the emergency room at Cache Valley Hospital in Logan, Utah. He demanded to see a doctor and then cocked one of his two handguns and said someone was going to die. A hospital security guard did his best to calm and distract the gunman. Two correction officers happened to be present and were able to confront the gunman from a different direction. The gunman was shot three times and no one else at the hospital was injured. All before police arrived.
- On July 25, 2014, a patient entered the psychiatric clinic at Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital in Darby, PA. He shot his case worker before pistol whipping his doctor Lee Silverman. As the man left to go shoot more people, Dr. Silverman pulled out his conceal carry handgun and shot the man three times. He was hailed by local police for saving other lives before police had a chance to arrive.
You’ll never hear Obama or the other anti-gun liberals talk about any these incidents where American citizens used their Second Amendment rights to save others from being killed or wounded by shooters. Had they been gun free zones and none of these citizens had their weapons handy, how many more innocent people would have been killed or wounded? If Obama had his way, the death tolls would have been significantly higher.
I wish someone would publicly ask Barack Obama if he is so against allowing teachers and faculty to have weapons on public school campuses, then why do his kids attend a school that is a gun free zone with at least 11 armed guards on campus at all times? Are his kids that more valuable and precious than our kids are? Don’t our kids deserve to be just as safe and protected in school as Obama’s kids?
I wish I had the opportunity to publicly discuss this face to face with Barack Obama and pin him down with his lies and the real facts, exposing him for what he really is – an anti-American traitor hell bent on destroying America and the American people.