John Hawkins with Townhall.com recently shared 13 quotes proving why Obamacare is a plague on America and I wanted to share them with you along with my own commentary.
1. 1 In 4 Voters Already Know Someone Who Has Lost Insurance because of Obamacare – They cited a recent survey where 27% of the people that responded said they either received a health insurance cancellation notice or know of someone else who did. And this is following Obama’s illegal act of telling the American people that they could keep their policies. Besides the fact that Obama cannot make such a decree without first going to Congress, insurance companies had already changed their whole structure to accommodate Obamacare and no longer have many of the policy options that were cancelled. To reinstate all of the cancelled policies would cost the insurance companies millions of dollars to rebuild those policies.
2. Almost all of the people signing up for Obamacare lost their coverage because of Obamacare – Obamacare was supposed to be designed to provide affordable health insurance to the millions of uninsured Americans, but a variety of surveys indicate that the majority of people signing up either had their existing policies cancelled or they had employer provided coverage. Depending upon the area of study, previously uninsured new enrollees account for only 11% to about 25%.
3. The uninsured HATE Obamacare – Last November, a Kaiser Family Foundation poll revealed that 40% of uninsured people approved of Obamacare. In January that figure had dropped to 24%. If they don’t like it, they’re not going to buy into it.
4. Another 25-80 million people are going to lose their insurance when the employer mandate kicks in – Millions of Americans are already losing their employer provided healthcare and they’re losing much more. Employers have been cutting workers hours from 40 hours a week to 29 hours or less so they don’t have to provide coverage. This is a 25% or more cut in income and I don’t know of too many people that can survive on that big of a cut in their income.
5. More than 30 million Americans STILL won’t be covered – They quote a CBO report that says 31 million nonelderly people will be uninsured by 2024. From what I’ve seen, that number will be reached much sooner. Depending on which report you look at, there are already 1-2 million more uninsured Americans now than when Obamacare took effect last October.
6. Lie of the year: Obama’s if you like your health plan you can keep it has been labeled as the Lie of the Year for 2013 – All Obama did was go before the American people and said oops and then violated the US Constitution in his attempt to make things right. However, his edict did not fix things for millions of Americans who still lost their previous coverage.
7. It makes health insurance considerably more expensive for most Americans – Nancy Pelosi still keeps trying to convince us that Obamacare is cheaper, but statistics indicate that health insurance has become much more costly under Obamacare for most Americans. Not only have premiums increased but the cost at the doctor’s offices and hospitals have also increased. The cost of medical equipment has increased because of the taxes imposed by Obamacare.
8. Obamacare will reduce the incomes of most Americans – I dealt with employees having their hours cut in #4. In addition to having hours cut due to Obamacare, a number of employers have said that they will not be giving many raises as they can’t afford to. Some have indicated that in order to comply with Obamacare, they may have to reduce wages or the number of people they employ. The bottom line is millions of Americans will be losing jobs, hours, benefits and income.
9. It bails out insurance companies – With so few young and healthy individuals signing up for Obamacare, insurance companies are looking at payouts far exceeding income. If this happens, the federal government will use our tax dollars to bail them out by paying for up to 80% of their overages. It seems even the uninsured will still end up paying for Obamacare coverage that they don’t receive.
10. They lied when they said it wouldn’t increase the deficit – When Obama and his fellow Democrats were pushing Obamacare through Congress, he promised that he would not sign a healthcare bill that added one dime to the national deficit. Current figures indicate that Obamacare will account for an additional $6.2 trillion to the long term deficit.
11. Millions of workers are being cut back to part-time because of Obamacare – Covered on #4, but I don’t think we can repeat this enough. Millions of households are being drastically impacted by losing 25% of their income. If people can’t find part time jobs to pick up their lost income, families will be forced into bankruptcy and foreclosure. The number of people receiving government assistance like welfare will swell, costing the government and taxpayers hundreds of millions of dollars.
12. Two and a half million Americans will leave the work force because of Obamacare – They based this on the CBO report that predicts a reduction of 2.5 million full time workers by 2024. There is no doubt that Obamacare is adding to the long term joblessness figures that are already responsible for the reduction in Obama’s unemployment figures.
13. Obamacare will dramatically reduce economic growth in the United States – Based on the statement made by Douglas Elmendorf, Director of the Congressional Budget Office who said:
“(Obamacare) is the central factor in slowing economic growth,” he said. “After we get out of this current downturn, but later in this decade and beyond, the principal reason why we think the economic growth will be less than it was for most of my lifetime will be a slower rate of growth by the labor force.”
When you add everything up, it’s obvious that Obamacare is just as deadly a plague as the Black Death that killed somewhere between 30% to 60% of Europe’s total population in the 1300s. As the virus known as Obamacare continues to spread its deadly policies on the American people, American businesses, and the economy, I’m sure the end results could be just as deadly.