It’s not hard to find people who are ignorant about other people’s beliefs. All you have to do is watch man-in-the street interviews. A good portion of the population is ignorant on a whole host of topics. Even students at some very prestigious universities are more familiar with the latest Kardashian event than with what’s happening with ISIS, or is it ISIL or just IS? I doubt that a majority of them would know the distinctions.
So it shouldn’t be surprising that Liberals don’t have an accurate picture of what conservatives are generally all about.
The following is from Christopher Cook at Western Free Press.
“Are you a conservative, a libertarian, or a Republican? Have you ever been verbally assaulted by someone on the political left with a ferocity you didn’t quite understand? Have you seen it happen to friends and colleagues, or watched in horror as the media establishment does it to a public figure?”
We all have. I find it exhilarating and challenging. It helps me with the articles I write each day and gives me a chance to engage with the misinformation and bring some clarity to an issue.
But there are so people in the liberal camp that are blinding by their own prejudices that they can’t see any view but their own and refuse to be taught otherwise.
Cook mentions a Facebook exchange:
“Republicans hate anything that isn’t white, wealthy, and Christian at least in appearance. They hate the poor, women, and minorities. They hate science and don’t believe that the global warming we clearly are experiencing is man-made.
“They hate any government programs that help the poor and minorities, and the particularly despise immigrants, particularly the illegal kind. They love programs that line the pockets of oil companies, mining companies, and are willing to export jobs with wild abandon.
“They hate public education, and they despise public schools and the public school teachers and public university professors. And since they do not respect the market place of ideas, they hate tenure (that gives teachers academic freedom) because it prevents them from firing teachers who are Democrats and who might infect some student with their liberal ideas.
“They want insurance companies to make a maximum of profit, and are perfectly willing for the health insurance companies to kill people by refusing service to anyone that might cost them a buck more than the median expense. They don’t care about clean food because it might cost the food corporation a little money, and they don’t care about clean water because cleaning up the waste will cost their precious corporate persons a little money.”
Any conservative reading the above characterization would be fuming after reading it. I would love to answer each of the charges, but it would take a book to do so. In fact, books have been written debunking these caricatures of conservatives, but the false narrative continues.
Let me quickly give a series of snapshot responses:
- Conservatives hate it when liberals use the poor, women, and minorities as political pawns to further the expansion of the State and make them dependent on government.
- Conservatives love science, that’s why they question the man-made global warming thesis.
- Conservatives don hate government programs that claim to help the poor and minorities but in reality hurt the power long-term.
- Conservatives love immigrants because most of us are descendants of immigrants who followed the rules and came here legally.
- Conservatives oppose illegal immigration because they understand that many liberals want to use it to grow the already bankrupt welfare State to empower the Democrat Party.
- True conservatives despise corporate welfare or what is often called “crony capitalism,” although it has nothing to do with capitalism
- Oil company profits are paid out to millions of stock holders, many of who are liberals.
- Companies would not “export jobs” if the corporate tax rate and excessive regulations weren’t debilitating, thus, making it difficult for American companies to compete with foreign companies.
- Conservatives who choose to send their children to public schools do not “hate public education” or “despise public schools and the public school teachers.” They hate and despise much of what is taught in these schools and what is not taught.
- Conservatives do respect the “market place of ideas.” That’s why they are often critical of university professors who use tenure as a way often to exclude academic competition by a rehearsal of alternative positions and facts.
- Insurance companies are generally despised. But we should remember that insurance companies are tightly regulated by government. Our government has often curtailed interstate competition among insurance companies.
- It’s absurd that Conservatives “don’t care about clean food” or “clean water because cleaning up the waste will cost their precious corporate persons a little money.”
Cook offers a helpful evaluation of the pathology of liberalism of the above type:
“This is not a recitation of facts; it is a series of smears. It is the construction of a giant cartoonish super-villain, made of straw and woven together with calumny. The giant straw villain is then publicly burned, in a narcissistic orgy of self-adulation. Of course, the torches of the ‘best’ people burn the brightest.
“Another way of looking at it is this: It is the modern-day version of a witch trial. The charges are utterly farcical and cartoonish. ‘I saw her dancing with demons in the pale moonlight.’ ‘She looked at me and I sneezed, and the next day, I had a terrible cold.’ ‘She turned me into a newt.’ But they are stated with great conviction and repeated incessantly, and they establish the unassailable collective will of which the accused has run afoul. The witch is made into the auslander1 and the good people of the community show how ‘good’ they are by shouting their accusations the loudest.”
Liberal pathology is a growing and infectious malady that facts alone cannot fix.
- “Ausländer is a German word meaning foreigner or alien, considered by some to be pejorative, especially when referring to naturalized immigrants.” [↩]
Become an insider!
Sign up for the free Godfather Politics email newsletter, and we'll make sure to keep you in the loop.