Are in one of the southeastern states? If not, you likely have friends or family in the region. Are you prepared for the category 5 hurricane named Irma that’s coming? Are they?
Did you know that there is a tropical storm named Jose on the coattails of Hurricane Irma?
— NHC Atlantic Ops (@NHC_Atlantic) September 5, 2017
Don’t panic! There’s still time to ensure that you are ready before the storms hit!
Many people think about food and water, but don’t think about some of the other factors to prepare.
Here are 15 things you can do, in addition to getting extra food and non-perishable items!
- Fill your gas tank
- Fill all necessary prescriptions
- Get a manual can opener
- Fill your tub with water in order to be able to flush, wash dishes, etc.
- Buy enough pet food, and include them your water supply
- Do you have babies? Stock up on diapers and formula, and even feminine hygiene products
- Get propane for your grill
- Ensure that you have cash in case that’s all the money you have access to for a while
- Charge all your devices….even if power lines are down, you can still listen to music or play games
- Put all you important papers (Birth certificates, deed, homeowners or rental insurance policy, passports, automobile paperwork) into a water tight container
- Wash all your laundry in case you can’t do laundry for a while
- Fill your freezer with bags of ice and/or water bottles.
- Buy extra ammo, always have a way to protect yourself
- Stock up on paper products (paper plates, plastic utensils, toilet paper, paper towels)
- Get oil lamps, lanterns, candles, flashlights, and matches
Don’t forget to also put away anything loose outside your house, or tie it down, because it can potentially become a projectile!