My wife and I were in the car when we heard a story that the Democrat Party shares the ideals of the Communist Party. Instead of working as a third party, the new goal of the Communist Party is to join with the Democrats.
While those in the Communist Party are not completely satisfied with everything in the Democrat Party, especially its ties to wall Street, the new Communists understand political realities, namely “the constraints of the two-party system.”
“We don’t operate in a parliamentary system which allows proportional voting,” John Bachtell, national chairman of the Communist Party USA, writes. “Instead, winner takes all, and during the general election it usually comes down to voting for one of two candidates most likely to win.”
Bachtell’s communists, like the majority of Democrats and not a few Republicans, understand who makes up their ideological opposition:
“While the Republican Party is led by the most reactionary sections of Wall Street capital including the energy extractive sector and military industrial complex, it also consists of extreme right-wing elements including the Tea Party, white supremacists,1 social conservatives, right-wing evangelicals, climate deniers, anti-reproductive rights groups, etc.”
This script could have been written by any Democrat. The Democrats have moved so far left that they are indistinguishable from Communists.
Of course, conservatives have known this for a long time but to say it put a person on the kook fringe of politics.
“[W]e are part of building the broadest anti-ultra right alliance possible, uniting the widest array of class (including a section of monopoly), social and democratic forces. This necessarily means working with the Democratic Party. This differentiates us from those left groups who underestimate the right[‘s] danger and overestimate the readiness of key class and social forces to bolt the Democratic Party.
“[O]ur objective is not to build the Democratic Party. At this stage we are about building the broad people’s movement led by labor that utilizes the vehicle of the Democratic Party to advance its agenda. We are about building the movements around the issues roiling wide sections of people that can help shape election contours and debates.”
Instead of beating their heads against the wall as a third party, self-professed Communists are being called on to join their ideological compatriots in the Democrat Party with the ultimate goal of taking it over. They are so close in principle that hardly anybody will know that the Democrat Party will be the Communist Party.
As a reminder, here is a copy of the original Communist Manifesto:
- Abolition of property in land and application of all rents of land to public purposes.
- A heavy progressive or graduated income tax.
- Abolition of all right of inheritance.
- Confiscation of the property of all emigrants and rebels.
- Centralization of credit in the hands of the State, by means of a national bank with State capital and an exclusive monopoly.
- Centralization of the means of communication and transport in the hands of the State.
- Extension of factories and instruments of production owned by the State; the bringing into cultivation of waste-lands, and the improvement of the soil generally in accordance with a common plan.
- Equal liability of all to labor. Establishment of industrial armies, especially for agriculture.
- Combination of agriculture with manufacturing industries; gradual abolition of the distinction between town and country, by a more equitable distribution of the population over the country.
- Free education for all children in public schools. Abolition of children’s factory labor in its present form and combination of education with industrial production.
Become an insider!
Sign up for the free Godfather Politics email newsletter, and we'll make sure to keep you in the loop.