Illinois is Barack Obama’s political home state. That’s where he started his campaign to turn America into a socialist nation. It’s also the home of Obama’s former White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel, now Mayor of Chicago. The Chicago metropolitan area is the third largest metropolitan area in country behind New York and Los Angeles.
At one point in time, the city was known for organized crime with gangsters like Al Capone, Dion O’Banion, Bugs Moran, Tony Accardo and John Dillinger.
Chicago and the state of Illinois also have a long history of corrupt politicians dating back nearly a century ago. A source I found listed more than 1,500 corrupt politicians from Chicago, Cook County and the state of Illinois. There were so many that they only listed 26, of which I have only listed a few:
- Former Gov. Rod Blagojevich – convicted of trying to sell Obama’s US Senate seat vacated when Obama was elected president;
- Former Gov. George Ryan – convicted of racketeering and fraud;
- Former Gov. Otto Kerner – convicted of 17 counts of bribery, conspiracy, perjury and related charges;
- Former Gov. Dan Walker – plead guilty to bank fraud, misapplication of bank funds and perjury;
- Former Alderman Isaac Carothers – pleaded guilty to federal corruption charges;
- Former Alderman Ed Vrdolyak – former head of the Cook County Democratic Party convicted of mail and wire fraud;
- Former Alderman Arenda Troutman – plead guilty to 2 charges of bribery;
- Former Alderman Virgil Jones – convicted of accepting bribes;
- Former City Clerk James Laski – convicted of taking bribes;
- Former State Sen. Arthur ‘Ron’ Swanson – plead guilty to perjury charges before a grand jury;
And let’s forget former US Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. who violated federal campaign laws by using thousands of campaign dollars for personal use. He plead guilty to wire and mail fraud and sentenced to 30 months in prison.
With such a history of corrupt Illinois politicians, including Obama, it didn’t surprise me when I saw an article that stated that 50% of Illinois residents would move out of the state if possible. The poll was conducted by Gallup Poll, who surveyed residents in all fifty states. The poll asked:
“Regardless of whether you will move, if you had the opportunity, would you like to move to another state, or would you rather remain in your current state?”
Illinois’s 50% was the most of any state with Connecticut close behind at 49%. When asked why they wanted to move, corrupt politicians was not an option, but I would be very curious what the results would have been if it had been an option. The top reasons given by Illinois residents were:
Work/business related – 26%
Weather/location – 17%
Quality of life – 15%
Cost of living – 9%
Taxes – 8%
School related – 6%
Family/friends – 6%
It can’t be a coincidence that Illinois, home of strict gun control, high crime rate in the Chicago area and home to so many corrupt politicians, including Obama, has the highest percentage of residents wanting to leave the state. Incidentally, since Obama has been president, the number of Americans moving out of the country and renouncing their US citizenship has also increased.