For years I’ve been railing against those who describe something as a “hate crime.” I mean really. When you think about it; aren’t all crimes hate crimes?
If you shoot a black man dead, is it any more hateful than shooting a white man dead? Is the black guy any deader than the white guy? No, of course not.
If a white boy is beaten by a group of kids, whether they are black or white, Asian or Indian, it matters not. But if a black kid is beaten by white kids, it is considered a hate crime.
It just doesn’t make any sense. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: aren’t all crimes hate crimes? Really, who’s ever heard of a love crime?
Well, I guess I’ll have to stop saying that, because there evidently are love crimes, according to the soon to be GOP presidential candidate “Love Train” Jeb Bush. Or maybe we should call him Jeb “Underground Love Railroad” Bush.
Yes, it’s been all over the news – people have written countless articles and talk shows have discussed it.
In case you somehow missed it, this is some of what he said.
“But the way I look at this – and this is not, you know, I’m going to say this and it will be on tape, and so be it – the way I look at this is someone who comes to our country because they couldn’t come legally, they come to our country because their families, you know, a dad who loves their children was worried that their children didn’t have food on the table. And they, you know, wanted to make sure their family was intact and they cross the border because they had no other means to work to be able to provide for their family. Yes, they broke the law, but it’s not a felony. It’s kind of – an act of love. It’s an act of commitment to your family.”
Well, he sure is a Bush. There’s no doubting that.
Okay, first things first: He knows darn well what he said was going to be on tape. He was counting on it so it would be broadcast and rebroadcast. So don’t give us that, “so be it” crap. He’s a calculating establishment politician, and I’m certain he knew what he was going to say before it came out. Heck, it was probably scripted by Karl Rove who has some lame polling data telling Jeb Bush he has to distance himself from the “right wing” of the GOP.
Now, the whole “act of love” thing. I’ve said a number of times that I can’t blame any poor soul who can’t support his family for sneaking them across the border for the promise (false or not) of a better life. I might do the same thing. But Jeb, it’s still against the law to do so. It may not be a felony, but it’s still a crime.
I wonder if “Love Train” would feel the same way if he came home and found a family of illegals had put down roots in his garage. Would he still be so forgiving?
He continued by saying that the current immigration laws are “trapping these people when they could make a contribution to their families and the country,” and that 40% of illegals are those who overstay their visas.
Now, say you win an election with 60% of the vote. The other guy got 40%. That would be considered an overwhelming landslide victory, would it not? So if 40% overstay their visas, that still leaves an overwhelming 60% who snuck across the border. But let’s forget about them and concentrate on the much smaller number. That makes sense.
As far as “trapping these people” goes, Who is trapping them? And what “contribution” can they make? I don’t mean to sound crass, but those who have the border illegally are the least educated and least skilled among the illegal population. And current immigration laws? Really? What laws? We have thousands of them. They aren’t worth the paper they’re written on if they’re not enforced.
Okay – just breathe … everything will be all right.
So between his love of Common Core and now this, Jeb “Love Train” Bush is the man for me. I can’t wait until he starts advocating for Obamacare.Don't forget to Like Godfather Politics on Facebook and Twitter, and visit our friends at RepublicanLegion.com.
Become an insider!
Sign up for the free Godfather Politics email newsletter, and we'll make sure to keep you in the loop.