After long-time MSNBC leg-thriller Chris Matthews was “me-tooed” off the air, the network replaced him with extremist lefty Joy Reid. Now, Reid’s ratings are already tanking after only a week on the air.
Reid debuted her 7 PM show, The ReidOut, on July 20 with a fairly strong 2.6 million viewers, but it seems she is struggling to keep much of that audience, especially in the younger demographic.
According to Nielsen data, Reid ranked 19th in the 25-54 demographic despite having a list of high-powered guests for her first week. As the week closed out she earned just 288,000 viewers ages 25-54 for the week. The show even fell behind programs in the 11PM hour across CNN and FNC. And by the Monday after her debut, The ReidOut was down 30 percent in total viewership.
Meanwhile, FOX News Channel’s The Story dominated Reid’s new show in double digits (+29 percent) in the demo and 4 percent in total viewers for the week.
Here are a few of the stats from Nielsen:
- Following MSNBC’s highly publicized debut of The ReidOut including a star-studded guest line-up, the program saw double-digit declines in BOTH total viewers (down 32%) and the key A25-54 demographic (down 11%) from launch day (Monday 7/20) to Friday of premiere week 7/24.
- Friday also marked the first day the show delivered under 2 million total viewers in the 7PM timeslot. FOX News Channel’s The Story with Martha MacCallum routinely garners over two million viewers every night and topped the week in all of cable at 7PM/ET with 2,230,000 total viewers.
- The Story has a nearly 30% advantage over MSNBC’s ReidOut in the 25-54 demographic.
- According to early Nielsen data for the week of 7/20, MSNBC had 13 of the 15 lowest cable news programs with a percent composition under 55 years old.
- For the week, the program finished in last place in the 7PM timeslot in the younger demographic, outpaced by FOX News and CNN. In fact, 85% percent of ReidOut viewership at 7PM is aged 55+ or older.
- Additionally, The ReidOut has the oldest median age viewership in the 7PM/ET cable news timeslot while FNC’s The Story has the highest median income in that same hour.
Again, Reid may have seemed strong on her first day, but each day since have so far offered seriously diminishing returns.
Follow Warner Todd Huston on Facebook at: facebook.com/Warner.Todd.Huston.Don't forget to Like Godfather Politics on Facebook and Twitter, and visit our friends at RepublicanLegion.com.
Become an insider!
Sign up for the free Godfather Politics email newsletter, and we'll make sure to keep you in the loop.