Trump Winning: Mexico Finally Working to Stop Migrant Caravans, 56 % Drop in Crossers


President Donald Trump has finally started winning over the Mexican government on the immigration crisis with our southern neighbor now announcing that it has cut the number of illegal crossers by 56 percent over previous numbers.

It’s more winning for president Trump on one of his top issues.

On Friday, Mexico’s Foreign Secretary Marcelo Ebrard reported that the number of migrants apprehended at the frontier in August was 63,989 in August, down from 146,266 in May, according to Fox News.

Trending: Ex-NFL Player Arrested for Vandalizing His Own Business with ‘MAGA’ and Racist Slurs

The Mexican government also noted that it has seriously stepped up the number of law enforcement resources used to stop illegal aliens from crossing into Mexico from its own southern border and also deployed to pick up illegals already in the country.

take our poll - story continues below

Would more gun control laws reduce mass shootings in America?

  • Would more gun control laws reduce mass shootings in America?  

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Completing this poll grants you access to Godfather Politics updates free of charge. You may opt out at anytime. You also agree to this site's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

The Mexican government has deployed more than 20,000 police officers and National Guard troops across the country as part of an aggressive campaign meant to deter Central American migrants from passing through its territory en route to the United States. Ebrard said there had been seven formal complaints of human rights violations involving the National Guard, a relatively low number which he saw as another sign of success.

The new efforts in Mexico are part of a 90-day agreement with the U.S. aimed at cleaning up the crisis. The Trump administration used the “stick” of a 5 percent tariff on Mexican goods to goad Mexico into finally acting on the matter.

The Mexican foreign secretary is set to meet with U.S. officials to determine if their actions will satisfy Trump enough to stave off the imposition of the tariffs.

“We’re showing that the strategy that Mexico put forward has been successful,” Ebrard told the media on Friday. “I don’t expect a tariff threat Tuesday because it wouldn’t make sense.”

However, Mexico is still refusing to agree to become the “safe third country” that Trump has asked them to become.

“The Mexican strategy is working,” said Ebrard. “We will not agree to be a safe third country … because it goes against our interests. It is unfair to our country.”

The Trump administration has not yet made any comment on the new numbers from Mexico, but surely it must be happy with the direction our southern neighbors are taking.

Follow Warner Todd Huston on Twitter @warnerthuston.

Don't forget to Like Godfather Politics on Facebook and Twitter, and follow our friends at RepublicanLegion.com on Instagram.

You Might Like
Previous Impeachment fever goes viral with Rob Reiner’s tawdry Twitter tirade
Next Protesters March To The US Consulate In Hong Kong, Call On Trump To Help ‘Liberate’ Territory

Join the conversation!

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon to the right of the comment, and report it as spam. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.