Months after the Washington Post put out a lie-filled, fake news story accusing a bunch of Catholic teens of “mocking” a group of Native Americans, the paper has finally added a correction to the story that undercuts everything the original story said.
Of course, the only reason the Post finally changed the story to reflect, you know, THE TRUTH, is because the paper is being sued by one of the kids the press tried to destroy.
In its original story, the Post claimed that the group of Catholic school kids from Covington, Kentucky, had mocked a group of Native Americans who were beating religious drums and singing religious chants. The kids were said to have “surrounded” the Natives and yelled out “racist” taunts, such as “build the wall.” The kids supposedly “blocked” the Native Americans from walking freely toward the Lincoln Memorial. Etc., etc.
In short, the Washington Post blamed these teenagers for being MAGA hat-wearing, racists.
But in the hours and days after the incident in front of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington D.C., the truth began emerging.
It turned out that the Catholic kids were standing around waiting for their busses to come to take them away from the National Mall. For up to a half hour as the kids stood there, they were verbally assaulted by a group of radical blacks who call themselves the “Black Hebrews.” These blacks were calling the teens names in the most vile of terms.
Then, the Native American group led by now well-known liar and con man Nathan Phillips, saw the blacks screaming at the kids and Phillips decided to lead his activist Native American group toward the kids.
It was Phillips who approached the kids, not the other way around as the Post reported it. It was the Natives and the blacks who taunted the kids, not the other way around as the paper reported it.
Further there were never any taunts from the kids. They never yelled out racist slogans nor did they say “build the wall.”
Every single thing that the Washington Post reported as fact was false, fake news.
Now the paper is finally correcting the record, months after it was published. In an addendum to the original story the paper published this editor’s note:
A Washington Post article first posted online on Jan. 19 reported on a Jan. 18 incident at the Lincoln Memorial. Subsequent reporting, a student’s statement and additional video allow for a more complete assessment of what occurred, either contradicting or failing to confirm accounts provided in that story — including that Native American activist Nathan Phillips was prevented by one student from moving on, that his group had been taunted by the students in the lead-up to the encounter, and that the students were trying to instigate a conflict. The high school student facing Phillips issued a statement contradicting his account; the bishop in Covington, Ky., apologized for the statement condemning the students; and an investigation conducted for the Diocese of Covington and Covington Catholic High School found the students’ accounts consistent with videos. Subsequent Post coverage, including video, reported these developments: “Viral standoff between a tribal elder and a high schooler is more complicated than it first seemed”; “Kentucky bishop apologizes to Covington Catholic students, says he expects their exoneration”; “Investigation finds no evidence of ‘racist or offensive statements’ in Mall incident.”
A Jan. 22 correction to the original story reads: Earlier versions of this story incorrectly said that Native American activist Nathan Phillips fought in the Vietnam War. Phillips said he served in the U.S. Marines but was never deployed to Vietnam.
Well, isn’t that sweet. They finally set the record straight… two months later.
Of course, the only reason they are doing this is because they are being sued for libel by Nick Sandmann, one of the Catholic kids who were on the National Mall that day.
The paper deserves no credit. And let’s hope Nick Sandmann wins his case against them.
Follow Warner Todd Huston on Twitter @warnerthuston.