Have you ever thought about the irony that on this Thursday we celebrate the things that we are so thankful for, and Friday everyone turns ruthless as they descend upon the bargains known as Black Friday.
So as we enter this holiday shopping season where people will spend their hard-earned dollars in various stores, have you ever considered what the stores do some of your money?
I received another one of those emails that goes around and this one caught my interest. I did a little checking with various folks and myth sites and could not find anything to refute the information contained in the email. If in fact this information is incorrect I beg your forgiveness but I could not find evidence to that effect.
Basically this email contains a list of companies who made political donations during this past election and I thought I would share this list with you as it may impact your decision on who you want to give your business to and who you don’t want to give it to.
Election Cycle political donations, as reported by the Center for Responsive Politics.
- Price Club/Costco donated $225K, 99% went to Democrats
- Rite Aid donated $517K, 60% went to Democrats
- Magla Products ( Stanley tools, Mr. Clean) donated $22K, 100% went to Democrats
- Warnaco (undergarments) donated $55K, 73% went to Democrats
- Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia donated $153K, 99% went to Democrats
- Estee Lauder donated $448K, 95% went to Democrats
- Guess, Inc. Donated $145K, 98% went to Democrats
- Calvin Klein donated $78K, 100% went to Democrats
- Liz Claiborne, Inc. Donated $34K, 97% went to Democrats
- Levi Straus donated $26K, 97% went to Democrats
- Olan Mills donated $175K, 99% went to Democrats
- WalMart donated $467K, 97% went to Republicans
- K-Mart donated $524K, 86% went to Republicans
- Home Depot donated $298K, 89% went to Republicans
- Target donated $226K, 70% went to Republicans
- Circuit City Stores donated $261K, 95% went to Republicans
- 3M Co. Donated $281K, 87% went to Republicans
- Hallmark Cards donated $319K, 92% went to Republicans
- Amway donated $391K, 100% Republicans
- Kohler Co. (plumbing fixtures) donated $283K, 100% Republicans
- B.F. Goodrich (tires) donated $215K, 97% went to Republicans
- Proctor & Gamble donated $243K, 79% went to Republicans
- Southern Wine & Spirits donated $213K, 73% went to Democrats
- Joseph E. Seagrams & Sons (incl. Beverage Business and considerable media interests) donated $2M+, 67% went to Democrats
- Gallo Winery donated $337K, 95% went to Democrats
- Coors & Budweiser donated $174K, 92% went to Republicans
- Brown-Forman Corp. (Southern Comfort, Jack Daniels, Bushmills, Korbel Wines, Lenox China , Dansk and Gorham Silver) donated $644 K — 80% went to Republicans
- Sonic Corporation donated $83K, 98% went to Democrats
- Triarc Companies (Arby’s, T.J. Cinnamon’s, Pasta Connections) donated $112K, 96% went to Democrats
- Pilgrim’s Pride Corp. (chicken) donated $366K, 100% went to Republicans
- Outback Steakhouse donated $641K, 95% went to Republicans
- Tricon Global Restaurants (KFC, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell) donated $133K, 87% went to Republicans
- Brinker International (Maggiano’s, Brinker Cafe, Chili’s, On the Border, Macaroni Grill, Crazymel’s, Corner Baker, EatZis) donated $242K, 83% went to Republicans
- Waffle House donated $279K, 100% went to Republicans
- McDonald’s Corp. Donated $197K, 86% went to Republicans
- Darden Restaurants (Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Smokey Bones, Bahama Breeze) donated $121K, 89% went to Republicans
- Heinz, Republicans $64,000 Democrats $21,300! John Kerry’s wife’s company!!!
Traveling and/or dining
- Hyatt Corporation donated $187K of which 80% went to Democrats
- Marriott International $323K, 81% went to Republicans
- Holiday Inns donated $38K, 71% went to Republicans
So as you head out to shop this Christmas season, remember that these companies are using some of your dollars for political purposes. That means that by you shopping with them that you are indirectly supporting either Republicans or Democrats, like it or not. The only thing you can do is choose wisely.