Jose Ines Garcia Karate shot and murdered Kate Steinle during the summer of 2015. On Thursday, the illegal immigrant was acquitted of murdering the 32-year-old American woman, despite the fact that he even admitted to the crime.
Steinle’s death has been taken up by opponents of so-called sanctuary cities. They argue that stricter immigration enforcement would have kept Jose Ines Garcia Zarate, who is residing in the U.S. illegally and was deported five separate times before the 2015 shooting, off the streets.
The arrest warrant unsealed in the Western District of Texas by the Justice Department on Friday accuses Zarate of violating his supervised release.
Zarate was released from jail in 2015, despite a federal immigration detainer request. Months after his release, he allegedly shot and killed Steinle on a pier in San Francisco.
After a weeklong trial, Thursday evening the monster walked free of murder and manslaughter charges. The only thing he was charged for was being a felon in possession of a firearm.
Zarate has been previously deported five times.
President Trump seized on Steinle’s killing as a presidential candidate, pointing to it as an example of the need to strengthen immigration laws. He chimed in on the subject after the verdict was announced Thursday night, calling it “disgraceful.”
“No wonder the people of our Country are so angry with Illegal Immigration,” the president said.
Now the Department of Justice is considering filing federal charges against Zarate for Steinle’s death.
Department Director of Public Affairs Sarah Isgur Flores said, “We’re looking at every option and we will prosecute this to the fullest extent available under the law because these cases are tragic and entirely preventable.”
Deputy Director of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Tom Homan said the agency is going to “work to take custody of Mr. Garcia Zarate and ultimately remove him from the country.”